Fab 4 Radio.com live feed

You're listening to Fab 4 Radio live!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beatles night on "American Idol" -- your thoughts ...

Apple iTunes


Beatles night on "American Idol" attracted a huge viewing audience, reports Billboard.com. Nielsen Media Research, which tracks TV ratings, says 27 million people saw the start of the show, but the number grew to 31 million for the Beatles portion. Billboard says Beatle songs from "American Idol" Beatle night go on sale today.

At any rate, we'd like to hear from you about what you thought of this. Admittedly, we are not fans of "Idol", but we know a lot of people are. So, with that, here's our newest poll question: What did you think of Beatles night on "American Idol"? The poll's on the right hand side. Click in your vote. You can also add your comment to this item.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed for the most part. I don't think Eight Days A Week works as a country song. I never cared for the Earth Wind And Fire version of Got To Get You Into My Life or the Stevie Wonder version of We Can Work It Out. It seemed that most of these kids didn't care for The Beatles too much. I thought Let It Be, Eleanor Rigby, & In My Life were the best.

Anonymous said...

I've only started watching AI this season because the talent seems much better. Chikezie's thrashgrass cover of "She's a Woman" was almost perfect, and reminded me how much the Beatles and the Who owe each other. Most of the rest of it was forgettable for me.

Anonymous said...

Almost all of the versions covered by the Idol contestants were really pretty awful. I thought the one standout was the version of "She's A Woman" which really was outstanding. I personally liked the version of "In My Life" but all three of the judges (even Paula!!!) thought it was boring. I thought that the girk who sang "Got To Get You Into My Life" sang it well (she has a great voice) but doing the EWF version shows that she put no thought into it at all.

John S. Damm said...

I think the exposure that The Beatles are getting through AI is great! Maybe the fantastic ratings will hasten the release of the remastered catolog or even things like a gloriously restored Let It Be on dvd.

The "powers that be" need to see an interests in The Beatles much greater than from just us diehards.

Anonymous said...

Wow...it's several days later and only four comments? Can't believe there are so many Beatle fans who read this blog, yet don't watch or have opinions on American Idol!

Anyway, I think Chikezie did a great job with "She's A Woman," as did both David Cook (who did an uptempo, modernized version of "Eleanor Rigby") and Amanda Overmyer (who did a great, speeded up, Janis Joplin-ish take on "You Can't Do That").

Everyone else was rather forgettable...not bad, really, but just forgettable.

If you do a Beatles song straight, you better be really, really good. And, if you re-arrange it, you better be not only very good, but very clever. Chikezie, Cook, and Overmyer were all of the above.